Most of Lord Trenchard's time at Farnborough would have been spent organising the training of recruits and equipping the new units and recruits sent out to France to augment the growing RFC. The initial movement of the Royal Flying Corps Expeditionary Force to France took place just as he arrived to take up his posting and was probably organised by Sir Frederick Sykes, from whom Lord Trenchard took over.

The earliest Royal Flying Corps operational squadrons were based in the hangars at the foot of the rise immediately in front of Trenchard House.

The building has been fully refurbished and is the administrative headquarters of FAST. Trenchard House now houses FAST's museum, displaying a significant part of the FAST collection.  The building is made available to FAST by SEGRO through a lease to Farnborough Air Sciences Heritage Ltd.

The FAST Museum >>
(see the Museum section for more details)


What Else Goes on in Trenchard House?
  • Administration of the FAST trustees activities
  • Running the museum and preparing displays
  • The management and operations FASH Limited
  • Liaison with SBAC, Rushmoor BC and Slough Estates plc on maintenance, safety etc.
  • Administrative headquarters of the Guild of Aviation Artists>>
  • Operations of Euro Aircraft Trading Ltd
  • Conference facilities that can be hired - based on the historic Trenchard Room.
For more details please contact the museum staff.
Trenchard House
The Guild of Aviation Artists
Trenchard House is also the adminstrative HQ of the Guild of Aviation Artists.  Here are a few wonderful examples of their work.
See their website for further details and to buy paintings. 
Trenchard House is the earliest building on the historic Farnborough aviation site. It was built in 1907 by the Royal Engineers to be the headquarters of their Balloon School and it is one of the oldest aviation related buildings in the country.  It became the headquarters of Lord Trenchard when he arrived at Farnborough on 7th August 1914. He was posted to France in 1915 to command the newly formed First Wing consisting of Nos 2 & 3 Squadrons.

© 2011 Farnborough Air Sciences Trust - All Rights Reserved     |     Charity Commission Reg. No. 1040199     |     Website by Waving Moose Communications
Farnborough Air Sciences Trust
Safeguarding Our Unique Aviation Heritage